|Published March 2016,in paperback and on Kindle|
Since I don't blog on one particular topic, this should give you a nice overview:
- Fall - an earliest of early memories
- Upstairs - a semi-fictionalized account of a boy realizing he needs to grow up
- Fatman's Lament - On what a jerk I was in grade school.
- Call Me Maybe (Not) - On the origins of my discontent with telephony.
- Damaged Ones - Tale 3, "The Thriller" - On what a jerk I was in middle school.
- Damaged Ones - Tale 1, "The Monkee" - In which I begin my high school love life... with the help of Davy Jones.
- Virgin Oil, or The Fat's Out of the Bag - leaving one's shell is not without risks
- The Horrors of the Little Shop - In which I hit my peak, sophomore year of high school.
- In October - also semi-fictional
- Calling America - Further tales of telephonic misadventure.
- 1993: Crash and Burn - In which I reflect on what a jerk I was in college; a prelude to...
The Air Force Years:
- Part One: How did THAT happen? - On being recruited from retail.
- Part Two: Saying Goodbye - On how well "staying out of trouble" works.
- Fishing With Dad - On how we Callin men are hapless victims of ourselves.
- Six Little Words: Basic Training pt. I - On arriving at U.S. Air Force Basic Military Training.
- Three Strikes; AFBMT pt. 2 - In which failure was NOT the option I chose - but it was what I got.
- Deja Vu Again: AFBMT pt. 3 - In which I learn how to overcome #fail.
- Chicken Poop for Your Soul - In which we discover yet another source of #fail.
- The Drunk - It's about a drunk. Don't overthink these things.
- The Jarhead Who Laughed - On making friends - whatever the cost!
- Politically Incorrect (Doesn't Cover It) - Guess what! I was *still* a jerk!
- Always In My Way - a sequel, of sorts (and a tale of confirmation bias)
- The Bachelor Party - On hijinks and the sowing of oats.
- In the Moment - A Wedding Song.
Ex Post Servicio:
- On the Road: Driving Man, part 1 - In which I steer back into civilian life - with mixed results.
- On the Road, Again: Driving Man part II - In which we learn yet more about #fail.
- Kerouac and Ginsberg Grow Up and Get Jobs - In which past and present conspire to distract me from each other.
- Damaged Ones - Tale 2: "Who Saved Whom" - In which I grapple with someone else's spirituality - oh, and find a job.
- The Impact on My Faith - a reflection on a decade after 9/11
- Decant the Midnight Lizard - On the joys of toilet training.
- "I Love You Anyway" - In which my son and I teach each other about love (verb; transitive).
- Why Skeletons Don't Have Kids... - A choral arrangement of the mayhem that is parenting.
- The Snip - a Public Service Announcement - In which I close a door on a part of me - figuratively (though the result is the same).
- Pillow Talk Ping-Pong - On staying in love with my best friend.
- When Does Magic Die? - On what a crappy Tooth
FairyWizard I am.
- B.S. of America - On first impressions...
- Roughing It Up - ...and on making better ones (with a different troop).
- The Ghosts of Gettysburg - A ghost story.
- Everyone I Love Is Here - a simple album review
- Whole Hearted, Full Throated - In which I sound forth my heart from a rooftop.
- Why I Am a None - my de-conversion story
- Going to Pet the Rabbits - on the sinister side of comfort
- You Wouldn't Believe It - an attempt to outline my personal evolution
- My Existence Is Not an Attack On You - a curiously controversial olive branch to non-believers
- Evolving Out of Evil - a discussion, captured
- Alone In a Crowd - thoughts on finding a group
- Search for a Church - a tongue-in-cheek travel-log (using Foursquare)